Remember and Inspire.

 

I write stories and articles that touch the heart and share art wisdom, bringing artists and art lovers together. 

What does an artist look like?

6/15/2020 8:16:14 AM | By Jan Dale | Comment on this

 

 

Someone I had recently become acquainted with in a non-art-related setting expressed surprise to discover that I was a professional working artist. She had even bought an experimental 3D piece of resin art from me and had seen a few of my paintings. Still, she didn’t realize that I did this full time. It seemed I did not fit her mental image of a career artist. She explained what her image was, a long-haired earthy, guitar strumming flower-girl type in denim, a bandana, and no makeup. I had to laugh. She had just described exactly what I looked like in 1976. If I’d asked her for more detail she might even have mentioned a Navajo turquoise choker, braids, and smock-top.

I showed her the news clipping of me from a high school concert in which I performed. She declared, "I KNEW it!" and we both had a good laugh. I’m still chuckling as I write this.

 

In our youth we tend to dress and behave in ways that coincide with our dreams and aspirations. If you don’t believe me, just think of what you originally wanted to be when you grew up and then look at some of your childhood photos; the ones where you chose your own wardrobe, of course. I had wanted to be an artist as far back as I can remember. So I dressed the stereotypical part.

 

As we grow into adulthood, we discover that obstacles are just a natural part of life. Some of us jump right over them and keep going full speed ahead, never losing focus. Sometimes a new desire proves stronger and the original vision fades. We often find that we have to set our dreams aside for a while, maybe even forever, to take care of things that are more important to us, like people we love. Along the way, we tend to dress according to our current role. The older we get, the more eclectic our collection of hats. While we might move on from one role, it leaves us forever changed, and hopefully wiser.

 

Many of us accept the lie that what we want to contribute to the world is not career worthy and we go get a few 'real' jobs before we realize that what we aspired to as a 10 yr. old really IS what we were meant to do. I believe strongly that just about any job is real if it fulfills a need. All the better if we love doing it.

 

It took me several decades to come to the conclusion that art is a real job. It may never make me wealthy. That’s ok. I wouldn’t mind if that happened but it’s never been so important to me that I’d stick with a career I hate or abandon people I love in order to get it. What I do is vital nonetheless. I create stories in paint that recall simpler times when people stopped to listen to birds sing, sat in the park and fed them, walked down dusty dirt roads, made our own bread, and planted vegetables. I paint shared memories. I paint quiet. Not everyone needs that. But a lot do and I'm grateful that I get to wake up to it every day. 

 

I’ve outgrown chokers, braids, and bandanas. I still wear denim and play guitar, well sort-of. I wear make-up. Hey, if the wall is cracked, then I say spackle it! I’ve been to a lot of art openings. As I look around I play a guessing game called which ones are the artists? I see two things consistently. Young people tend to dress and behave in ways that coincide with their generation’s mental image of an artist.

People my age? It’s anybody’s guess.

 

What mental picture does your profession evoke? Does it bother you or do you embrace it? Leave a comment. I read all.

 

Read More