Remember and Inspire.

 

I write stories and articles that touch the heart and share art wisdom, bringing artists and art lovers together. 

Chickadees and People

3/15/2021 9:40:22 AM | By Jan Dale | Comment on this

 

 

Did you know that chickadees are known for their friendly nature and that it's actually pretty easy to get them to eat from your hand? I didn't.

 

 

This picture is of a friend who is kind of a bird-whisperer. I'm working on a portrait of her in between mural projects, which seem to be picking up again.

 

I'm also working on the set-up for "Aspiring Chickadees" (note the plural) I came across this image as I was searching for photo-references.

 

While we're waiting for those paintings to emerge, I'll share some thoughts about that mysterious heart-string connection people seem to have with these little creatures.

 

Whenever I start a painting, I really like to study my subject well. I found, for instance, that chickadees only live two-three years and usually have the same mate each spring. They're great to have around because they feed on insects mostly. They eat twice as much in winter when insects are scarce, which is why it's easy to tempt them to eat from your hand.

 

Ok...those are just birding facts. But what IS that elusive tug we feel toward the little creatures? I have a theory. I think it's because we empathize with their vulnerability and we aspire to be as resilient.

 

Read the full newsletter

 

If you like what you see, you can subscribe there.

 

 

Read More