Remember and Inspire.
I write stories and articles that touch the heart and share art wisdom, bringing artists and art lovers together.
The Power Of Giving - Danny Rebb
4/24/2021 7:05:48 AM | By Jan Dale | 2 Comments
Those who read a lot of professional artist blogs have no doubt encountered conflicting advice regarding the use of giveaways. Some say it helps build positive relationships between artists and their followers while others think it reads as desperate and so weakens the artist in their eyes.
I am one hundred and fifty percent FOR it!
Why? Not only has it strengthened my relationships with existing fans, it has brought me new fans, and not just freebee seekers, as some fear. The 'against' argument is that people over-use it in their quest for new fans and thus attract people who only come for the free stuff.
Let me clear the air right now. I don't know of anyone in my own private list who fits that description. Not one!
The difference lies in the 'how.'
Size: I don't give away very big stuff, if we're talking about stuff. There's another kind of giving that I'll talk about in a future post. I give away one little 4 inch square original oil painting. Don't underestimate the small, though.
Frequency: I do this about once every three months. If someone is really only there for the giveaway, they won't stick around for very long. And if that's not enough evidence. . .
The proof is in the open rate.
Open rate refers to how many people actually open and read the update or newsletter, or whatever it is we send out to our fans. A respectable open rate is 30-40%.
My open rate is generally around 65% and rarely drops below 50%. This means that for every update I send out to my private list, well over half of them open and read it. It might be a different mix each week but the open rate has been pretty consistent over the last two years.
In fact, I have quite a few who not only open and read every single update, but they often reply with an insight or a story of their own. This means that people value my work and connect with it on a personal level...and THAT is what matters. That's really the kind of response we artists hope for.
Thus the giveaway is not a teaser to entice people to come, but a thank you to those who love our work enough to stick around.
Enter Danny Rebb
Danny won my Spring 2021 giveaway. After I pulled his name I looked back over all the updates I've sent him in the last year, about one per week. He has opened and read nearly every one. When I delivered his gift yesterday morning, I asked his permission to tell my readers about him.
I NEVER share names without express permission! Danny gave it wholeheartedly.
That is because Danny is himself a giver...more so than there is room here to tell about.
I met Danny a couple of years ago when he joined The Artists' Society Of Dearborn. We got acquainted as we helped hang a group show, his first with us.
I was immediately captivated by his intuitive photography. It often features decayed historical buildings around Detroit. There's a beauty in them that few of us recognize the way he does.
One of my favorites is a photo he took from the inside of the abandoned Michigan Central Station. It spoke to me on a deeply personal level.
You see, at the tender age of 16, I took my very first train ride from there...alone...to spend Christmas with family in Albany, New York.
So you can see why I was so honored to have Danny as part of my private group of fans and very excited when the name I pulled at random a few days ago was his.
Danny, may this small painting of a seemingly insignificant feather remind you to keep capturing the things most of us miss. In my book, you give much more than I!
CLICK HERE to see Danny's photography on Instagram.
How do YOU feel about giveaways? As an artist? As a follower of fine art? Leave a comment. I read all.
