Remember and Inspire.
I write stories and articles that touch the heart and share art wisdom, bringing artists and art lovers together.
Sewing Machine Series
1/21/2021 5:59:27 AM | By Jan Dale | 2 Comments
This series started with a commissioned painting of an antique sewing machine. I became fascinated by the intricate workings. As I researched the possibility of turning this into a series of paintings, I found that there was huge variety among sewing machines. I saw teeny-tiny ones that looked like toys, but were as functional as many that were full-sized. So many colors, designs, and embellishments! I never realized. It was love at first sight when I found this one. I'd say it must have died with its boots on! I'd love to track down its history. And yes, there will be a bird.
This painting is about two-thirds finished. I have a special group of followers who get to see finished work before everyone else does. If you would like to be part of that group, you can leave a comment and I'll add you. Or you can add yourself at
Antique Sewing Machine Series
1/24/2020 9:22:26 AM | By Jan Dale | 1 Comment

Something electric happens when someone commissions a painting. It sparks a rewarding series of events. I tend to work harder at a commissioned piece and so I get a stronger composition, a more accurate rendering, and a more defined story. So of course, people who follow my work respond more strongly to it. When they offer effusive praise, I’m encouraged and the effort is validated. Some responses are polite critiques. Something is off. They know it. I know it. But hearing someone say it, especially when it’s respectful, does not sting at all. Instead, it challenges me to tackle whatever skill is necessary to improve. This energy triggers new mental images that tease at the mind and heart deep into the night, when I should be sleeping. I sit up suddenly and think, “This could be a series of paintings!” At this point, my husband stirs and I realize I said it audibly. I get up and go jot the ideas down while they’re fresh and then go back to bed, or I wait until morning when I’m fresh. If morning comes and I’m still geeked about it, I start planning.
The start of this sewing machine series came about because I did a commissioned piece called, “Her Grandmother’s Sewing Machine.” There were so many responses to it that I realized it had sparked interest with folks who sew and who like birds. There were also a couple of responses that pointed out ways I could improve it. Then someone who wanted to buy it was disappointed to learn that it was already spoken for, (I’ll work out something for them). But the real catalyst that decided it was when I had to take my own Jenome sewing machine in for repairs. I’d been in Sandy’s Sew & Vac many times before, but never noticed the dozen or so antique sewing machines there. Now I saw some real potential for a series. Yes, I could just paint that same sewing machine over and over, but I haven’t the attention span for it. Just sayin.'
I scoured through local thrift stores, antique shops, and Craigslist. I finally found what I was searching for on Facebook Marketplace; a wonderfully worn-out White Rotary. A one hour round-trip drive in the snow, a pleasant conversation with the seller, and I was back home with my new old treasure. Unlike the well-preserved Eldredge I just finished, this painting is going to feature the wear and neglect that often befalls faithful work-horse machines that once served our grandmothers.
As always, enjoy!
Jan Dale
P.S. What you see here is just the toned underpainting. I’ll keep you posted on its progress. When it’s finished, I’ll post it to my website portfolio at $720, my standard price for a 16”x20” oil painting. If you think you might be interested in purchasing it, let me know.
"Her Grandmother's Sewing Machine" (in progress)
11/20/2019 4:05:50 PM | By Jan Dale | 1 Comment

I’ve always admired the almost airbrushed quality in the backgrounds of some realist painters. I’ve sought to emulate it, but it has eluded me until now. It seems it’s all about patience. Who knew?! In any case, I’m slowly getting better at it. I hope to finish this painting before Thanksgiving.
This commissioned piece, far far from finished, is coming along well. The buyer is a skilled quilt artist and she likes my “fat little birds.” So when she called to commission a painting, we combined her grandmother’s antique sewing machine with her favorite birdie, a chickadee. I haven’t decided if I want the bird holding a thread in its beak or not. There will be a great deal of detail in the gold pattern that will overlay the blue machine and in the fabric, so I don’t want to get bogged down by introducing yet another detail…but then again…it might help draw attention to the bird more.
We shall see what we shall see.


